Re: Debian is now the most popular Linux distribution on web servers

Le 2012-01-10 05:39, Sam Soltano a écrit :
Hello Filipus,

I see your problem with the units in the graph. It has been taken from one of our standard reports, where it is explained, but it should have been pointed out in the article too.

This is the complete report: http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux
The unit is percentage of market share amongst Linux distributions.

Thank you Sam, that makes sense.
If you change the time frame, you can see older data: http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux/all/q. We don't have data earlier than Oct 2009, that's when we started our surveys.

Thanks.

That is still not what you want in terms of verifiability. As it says in the article, Debian is used by 9.6% of the websites. We explain our methodology here: http://w3techs.com/technologies. We use the Alexa top 1 million sites as a sample. We do this in order to minimize the impact of spam sites, e.g. someone building thousands of identical "sites" as a link farm, which could cause wild fluctuations.

It would be good to clarify all that. But OK, I get the idea.

Publicity team, looking at the trend from October 2009, we see that CentOS and Debian have been pretty close all the time. But indeed, CentOS goes above Debian in Summer 2010, and just went back slightly below. My question is whether this is a sign of a trend, or just some temporary fluctuation. Why does this happen now? The graph shows CentOS going over Debian during a 6 months period of huge share growth from April 2010 to October 2010, where Red Hat Enterprise Linux almost lost as much market share. Can such a quick change be explained? I'm thinking that presenting the statistic could be interesting, but an interpretation would be much better.

For what it's worth, if CentOS is considered the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, then Debian is still by far in second place.

hope that helps.
Sam