Re: blog.debian.org - going forward

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:57:37PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, we discussed blog.d.o on this
> list [1,2]. At DebConf11, discussions on this topic have been going on.
> In short, DSA is working on a blog.debian.org machine running a Movable
> Type instance, which we could use as Debian blog. I'd like to hereby
> thank DSA for their help on this matter.

Indeed!
/me thanks DSA

> [...]
>
> Barring already existing proposals, my own proposal is to handle blog
> posts similarly to how we handle the @debian account on identi.ca. That
> is, we could enable anyone to draft blog posts for blog.d.o (and sign
> them in the text or author of the post, as many "institutional" blogs
> do). Then we could require a given number of acks before going ahead and
> posting it and, possibly, enable a given number of nacks to block a post
> to go ahead. Beside of the actual numbers of acks/nacks (on which I
> welcome suggestions), what do you think of this proposal? I think it
> would allow for both transparency and collaboration on posts.

While I basically agree with this proposal, I'd like to have a sort of
Blog Team (i.e. people who works specifically on blog.d.o) to handle the
publication of contents and to give ack/nack about it.
Something like editorial staff, to handle things like regular columns.
(Yeah, I've already some ideas on columns for blog.d.o)

Not sure about it, so I'd like to hear other thoughts on this.
But it seems reasonable to me that people who decide to regularly
work on blog.d.o (and not necessarily on other -publicity stuff)
form an editorial staff.

> I'm not sure we will ever need to have embargoed blog posts as we have
> for press releases (after all, if it is really embargoed matter, we will
> probably go for a proper press release rather than for a blog post,
> right?).

I agree.

> I don't know Movable Type well enough to understand how authentication
> will work, but I expect it to support different level of users

It does.

> and I
> guess we can handle posting access to it as we have done with identi.ca,
> i.e. starting with volunteers and enlarging on the basis of work done on
> blog posts.

Sure.

So, what do you think about it?

Cheers,