Re: DPN 04/2012 frozen. Please review and translate

On 2012-02-18 06:16, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
Hi,

we just finished the last bits of DPN for the latest issue of the Debian
Project News to be released Monday. We would appreciate reviews and
translations.

Instructions can be found on http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews.

As usual, the issue is available on the publicity subversion repository,
even via HTTP:
http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/publicity/dpn/en/current/index.wml?view=co

Thanks to all the editors (and in advance to reviewers and translators)!

Cheers,
Francesca

Thank you Francesca,
here are my remarks:

One year after the release of Debian 6.0 alias<q>Squeeze</q>,
and nearly three years after the release of Debian GNU/Linux 5.0 alias
The Debian project is proud to have been able to
support its old distribution for such a long time, even continuing for
a full year after the new version was released.

The last sentence is doubtful and misleading, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=471589
Cyril Brulebois mentioned on his blog that<q>thanks to the hard work
of dpkg developers and many (generations of) developers</q>,
with multiarch</a>  was uploaded to experimental.
He invites everyone to try and install packages with a foreign architecture.

"dpkg developers and many (generations of) developers" doesn't read well. I suggest "many developers, particularly those working on dpkg".

The numbers in the talk were calculated using an existing Debian tool, but Russ Allbery
mentioned that it
wasn't designed to be used this way</a>, so the current figures are only preliminary.

Something is wrong in "Russ Allbery mentioned that it purpose wasn't designed to be used this way". It would be better without "purpose".

There has also been one further<q>People behind Debian</q>  interview with
Beatriz Guerrero López</a>, member of the Debian KDE team.

This is ambiguous at best; I would add a comma before "with".

Debian has again been chosen as<q>Server Distribution of the Year</q>  by the<a
href="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/2011-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-award-winners-928502/";>\
LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards</a>  this year.
Debian is also the
desktop distribution</a>.

Ahem. Debian is equal with Slackware on the server and behind on the desktop? Right... someone give me a box of salt. It might be worth mentioning that LinuxQuestions.org membership is open and free.

The hardware behind<q>ftp.debian.org</q>  has
the help of<q>Studenten Net Twente (SNT)</q>  and HP.

It's not clear what makes this newsworthy.

s/Cambdrige/Cambridge/

s/Squasing/Squashing/

<toc-add-entry name="rcstats">Release-Critical bugs statistics for the upcoming release</toc-add-entry>
# in total 1412
# affecting wheezy 727
# wheezy only 114
# remain to be fixed in wheezy 613
# ignoring all the above 410 bugs need to be fixed by Debian Contributors
# to get Debian 7.0 released.
# in the view of the release managers 637 need to be dealt with for the
# release to happen.

         interface of the Ultimate Debian Database</a>, the upcoming release,
	Debian 7.0<q>Wheezy</q>, is currently affected by
613 Release-Critical bugs. Ignoring bugs which are easily solved
	or on the way to being solved, roughly speaking, about
410 Release-Critical bugs remain to be solved for the
	release to happen.</p>

	href="http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/RC-Stats";>hints on how to
	interpret</a>  these numbers.</p>

Something is wrong here. The high number is supposed to tell the number of bugs affecting wheezy. But looking at the calculation, the 613 excludes wheezy only bugs. I'm not sure how these numbers are obtained anyway. But if I try by myself, I get 650 as high number: http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy&merged=ign&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=id&sorto=asc

Please note that these are a selection of the more important security
advisories of the last weeks. If you need to be kept up to date about
security advisories released by the Debian Security Team, please
subscribe to the<a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/";>security mailing
list</a>  (and the separate<a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-backports-announce/";>backports
list</a>, and<a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-stable-announce/";>stable updates
list</a>.

The parenthesis is unclosed.
While we're at it, I don't see the relation between security and debian-stable-announce.