Re: Suggestion for next DPN issue

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 10:40:22PM +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:
> > as probably many others, I was emotionally touched by Russ' "Debian
> > New Year's Speech":
> >
> >  https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/01/msg00015.html
>
> I was touched too, and I'd really like to mention it on DPN but the
> problem, IMVHO, is that that reply is part of a really boring flame,
> which seems now finally dead. So I think that the it's better to avoid
> any reference to that thread in DPN, or the risk is to re-start the flame
> itself.

I'm a "half-full" kind of guy, so I vote to mention the message.

More generally, I don't think we should fear restarting flames and
somehow censor ourselves due to that. Too many topics in Debian in the
past has gone non discussed for very long time due to that. And that has
brought us very little, in my humble opinion.

To improve how we discuss, we need *precisely* what Russ has been doing
in that thread: be rational, take the time to explain, and remind people
what Debian vision is.  It would be a pity to hide from DPN such an
important contribution to a discussion due to the fear of "ZOMG we could
restart the thread!".

Besides, I wouldn't have called that discussion on the length of Debian
release cycles a "flame", at best, it's a well-known troll :-)

Thanks for your work on DPN!
Cheers.