Re: [Policy] Fund raising advertisement on the DPN

Hi,

Le 12/10/2011 22:57, Fernando C. Estrada a écrit :

> I believe that a message to thank when someone has contributed with a
> donation to Debian is highly appropiate (i.e. hardware donations,
> hosting, mirrors, etc.)

Sure, it would be rude not to thanks our sponsors, especially if they
contributed to make a Debian event, or any Debian initiative, happen. I
hope that the proposed policy cannot be interpreted as preventing such
thing to be mentioned. If it does, would the following wording be
appropriate (as a complement): “Thanking sponsors who helped in
achieving an item mentioned in the DPN is not considered as a fund
raising initiative”?

> but ask for donations directly on behalf of
> Debian is something that I disagree.

So do you think we should even drop the proposed exception? The last
mention of a “fund raising initiative” I found [1] just provides a link
to the DebConf sponsorship page [2].

	1: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/05/#dc11
	2: http://debconf11.debconf.org/sponsorship.xhtml

If you believe that even such mention is annoying, we'll drop the exception.

Anyway, thanks to you, Francesca and Jeremiah, I think we can add the
proposed policy to the wiki (e.g to the guidelines [3], unless there is
a more appropriate place). I'll take care of that tomorrow (feel free to
beat me in wiki editing), and will then try to actually write stuff for
the next DPN, that is in stand-by since the beginning of the thread.

	3: http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/Guidelines

Regards

David

P.-S.: Filipus, thanks for contributing to the debate, but I don't think
you qualify as a “regular editor of the DPN” to get a voice in the final
decision.