Re: Flyer 18th Debian Celebrating - 16/08

I get numbers here:
http://www.debian.org/mirror/size.en.html

and others using old flyer:
http://news.debian.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/DebianTurns17.jpg

and too, ask @dpkg on irc.debian.org #debian

devels -> http://www.debian.org/devel/people

and others -> http://wiki.debian.org/Statistics

Thanks!  :D

Citando Filipus Klutiero <chealer@gmail.com>:

Le 2011-08-15 20:04, Valessio Brito a écrit :
Hi, create a flyer digital "18th Debian Celebrating"  small version:

http://valessiobrito.info/d18th/flyer.jpg

others version and source:
http://valessiobrito.info/d18th/

artwork in GPLv2, see http://valessiobrito.info/d18th/README / GPLv2 file.

[1] 609 GB - Size - http://www.debian.org/mirror/size.en.html

This is great job. Thank you for licensing that under the GPL!
FWIW, my Okular doesn't like the PDF at all.

Just a question on the text, is it based on some blurb or completely original? I find some numbers a little deceiving. We may have 40 000 packages with some computation, but our stable i386 has only 29500, and that's binary packages. I find 14 500 source packages more representative.. We could probably find 15 Debian architectures in some way, but squeeze only supports "32-bit PC / Intel IA-32 (|i386|), 64-bit PC / Intel EM64T / x86-64 (|amd64|), Motorola/IBM PowerPC (|powerpc|), Sun/Oracle SPARC (|sparc|), MIPS (|mips| (big-endian) and |mipsel| (little-endian)), Intel Itanium (|ia64|), IBM S/390 (|s390|), and ARM EABI (|armel|)", which is - at best - 9 architectures. Finally, regarding the 609 GB, this size is interesting for mirror administrators, but for general marketing, the nicely round 50 GB of data for i386 seems like a more meaningful measurement.

The current numbers may be bigger, but they may be more scary than anything - the "actual" numbers are already quite big IMO! That could be kept in mind for the next anniversary.

Thank you very much again, and happy anniversary.

--
://ValessioBrito.info
Comunicação e Tecnologia