Number of new packages (Re: Debian Project News 2011/11 frozen. Pleaase review and translate.)

On 2011-07-24 14:08, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
Hi!

Am 24.07.2011 11:47, schrieb Justin B Rye:

1099 packages were added to the unstable Debian archive recently.
*Cough cough* Are we sure more than a thousand packages were added
in a month? I see NEW being cleared, but nothing that big. The
featured list is a lot smaller.
No idea.
I calculated the number myself, and it is correct.  It is unusually high
because the DPN is quite delayed (I think it's the fourth or even fifth
week), and a large batch of udeb packages run through. udeb packages are
used in the debian-installer and the debian live images, so they usually
not noticed by the end user, but technically they are own packages.
OK, if you say so, it seems possible. The June 8th edition had a number over 800. I suppose this is a good time to mention that it would be nice to be able to see that list. The link on "Among many others" actually only shows about a hundred packages. I imagine that ABI bumps make up for a large part of these new packages. Just a Linux ABI bump must already mean a hundred or so if you count all architectures. Otherwise, it would be nice to count new source packages instead of new binary packages. Or, to also show the number of removed packages.