Bruce Byfield: Documentation and Free Software

In his blog Bruce Byfield takes Debian's default gdm3 wallpaper (or
rather his aim to change the wallpaper) as an example for lack of

"I wanted to get rid of the nauseatingly cute default Debian 6.0
wallpaper on the login screen." [...]

"Finally, after an hour of scanning pages and trying what three or four
procedures, each of which, the writer confidently assured me, was the
right answer, I manage to cobble together a simple four-step procedure
from suggestions that, while often unclear or incomplete, were close to
being accurate that experimentation could correct them:

   1. Log in as root and open the file /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults
in a text editor.
   2. Uncomment the field /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename and
add as its value the full path to the image you want to use as gdm3's
   3. Uncomment the field /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme and add a
valid theme. Then save and close the file.
   4. Run the command dpkg-reconfigure gdm3.

Simple? Yes, once you know how. But that simple task had taken me ten
times longer to do than I expected -- and all because nobody could be
bothered to write down the procedure."