Re: Debian Project News 2010/09 frozen, please review and translate

(Skipping some where I just agree...)

Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> On 2010-08-10 12:22, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
>> Instructions can be found on http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews
[...]
>> The 2010 annual Debian Developer Conference, DebConf10, which was held
>> at Columbia University in New York City, ended last Saturday on 7 August,
>> 2010.
> "7 August, 2010", with the comma, doesn't seem right. It looks like a
> mix of "Month Day, Year" and "Day Month Year".

It's the style recommended by quite a few style guides, including
the one linked from "http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews";.  Its main
competitor (especially in en_US) is "August 7, 2010"; versions with
ordinal suffixes ("August the 7th") are generally deprecated.

> This was already discussed above. The news refer to the release team in
> turn as the "Release Team", the "Debian Release Team" and the "Debian
> project Release Team".
>
>> For those who couldn't attend the conference, and would like to watch the
>> talks, many sessions were streamed by the DebConf video team composed of
>> over 40 volunteers.
>>
> There should be a comma before "composed".

Perhaps, but it's not required, and might even mislead people into
parsing it as "many sessions were streamed, composed of volunteers".

>> During the last few weeks,<q>netinst</q>  CD images (containing
>> the installation system and all packages for the base system,
>> downloading everything else from the Internet) have been available
>> which also contain the partly non-free firmware files needed (e.g.) for
>> some network and WLAN controllers.
>
> This is a little redundant, WLAN controllers are network controllers.

Now that you mention it, shouldn't the phrase be "some network
interface controller cards"?  But better yet, trim it to "for some
network hardware".

>> DebianEdu, who adapt Debian for the special needs of schools and
>> similar institutions,<a
>> href="http://lists.debian.org/2fltynl2bfo.fsf@login2.uio.no";>released
>> their first test version</a>  based uopn Debian
>> <q>Squeeze</q>.
>
> s/uopn/upon/
>
> I believe "who adapt" should be "which adapts".

"Their first test version" implies that we're seeing the project as
a group of people rather than an institution, so "who adapt".  A bit
of an en_GBism.

[...]
>> While Annual Debian Developers Conference 2010 has just ended,
>> preparations for the 2011 conference have already begun.
>
> DebConf10 is *the* 2010 Annual Debian Developers Conference, but I don't
> think "Annual Debian Developers Conference 2010" is a proper noun.

In fact the phrase "annual Debian Developers Conference" is getting
overused by this point in the text.  Couldn't it just say "the 2010
DebConf"?

>> According to the<a href="http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php";>unofficial
>> 	release-critical bug counter</a>, the upcoming release,
>> 	Debian 6.0<q>Squeeze</q>, is currently affected by
>> 245 release-critical bugs. Ignoring bugs which are easily solved
>> 	or on the way to being solved, roughly speaking, about
>> 145 release-critical bugs remain to be solved for the
>> 	release to happen.
>
> Assuming this is valid as of August 6 (based on
> http://blog.schmehl.info/Debian/rc-stats/2010-31 ), the high number is
> misleading. If I see 245 affect squeeze, I would basically expect to
> find that number if I select "squeeze" in the RC bugs count. But I get
> 323. The reason is squeeze-only bugs are subtracted from the squeeze
> bugs, since they are fixed.

Er, 245 is misleadingly high because really it's 323?

> I agree bugs fixed in unstable can be very easily ignored at this point,
> so I'm not against ignoring fixed bugs in the high number, but then
> that's how it should be presented (is currently affected by 245
> *unfixed* release-critical bugs).

It takes a whole page of explanations to justify this count; perhaps
there should be a direct link to
"http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/RC-Stats"; on the phrase "roughly
speaking".
--
JBR
Never work between meals - Norfolk proverb