Re: use of special characters (mostly accented words) in index.wml

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 05:02:52PM +0200, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
> Francesca ha scritto:
> > In italian we use accented vowels; so, usually, I use entities in HTML
> > document (like è instead of è) and I think it's correct to use
> > entities to represent accented letters also in wml.

Using html entities should be avoided, it prevent from easily reading
files.

> > But then, when we convert index.wml in plain text in order to send the
> > newsletter...the entieties returns entities!

Build the html output 'make file.it.html', then links -dump file.it.html
will provide you a good basis.

> What should be the encoding used in WMLs? I translated some Debian web
> pages using ISO-8859-15 (which is able to encoded the accented
> characters used in Italian), and the accented characters are correctly
> displayed.

It actually depends on your language and how it is handledd by the
website.

webwml/italian/.wmlrc tells :
-D CHARSET=iso-8859-1

So italian translators have to use ISO-8859-1.

Many languages migrated their web pages to UTF-8, and we have a bug
about that: http://bugs.debian.org/567781

If the italian team needs help to move to UTF8, let's discuss it on
-www.

Best regards.

--
Simon Paillard