Re: Debian Project News 2010/14 frozen. Please review and translate

On 2010-10-15 16:57, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
Hi!

We just finished the last bits for the latest issue of the Debian
Project News to be release on Monday.  I would appreciate reviews and
translations.
Thank you Alexander. Here are my remarks:

They also noted that all transitions
have been done, and named the current blockers of the release: <a
href=""http://bugs.debian.org/571255">http://bugs.debian.org/571255">a bug in udev</a> which might cause
problems during upgrades (a patch has been proposed in the meantime); a
script of dash</a> (a patch has been proposed and is currently
investigated)
I'm not a native English speaker, but shouldn't the parenthesis read "is currently BEING investigated"? This sounds like the investigation was completed.

The release
also points out that the help of everyone is needed to get this
accomplished, be it by squashing the remaining bugs, providing facilities
for real life bug squashing parties, writing the Release Notes, or
supporting translations.
s/The release/The release team/

It therefore allows
users to easily access newer versions of packages; but users can
not just upgrade to the following stable release but will at least need to
also use the corresponding regular backport suite for packages from the
sloppy suite.
Woo - this sentence is heavy. I don't understand exactly what it means.

Valessio Brito <a href=""http://lists.debian.org/20100909150907.57032hggzrpdivur">http://lists.debian.org/20100909150907.57032hggzrpdivur@ssl.eumx.net">announced</a>
the <a href=""http://follow.debianart.org/">http://follow.debianart.org/">beta version</a>
of a new service allowing users of micro-blogging services to
the topics</a> of various Debian mailing lists.
So it is possible to search for particular tags, bugs, meetings, or specific work.
Shouldn't the "So" starting the last sentence simply be removed?

Is it newsworthy if packages, even popular ones like the <a
href=""http://packages.debian.org/chromium-browser">http://packages.debian.org/chromium-browser">Chromium web
browser</a>, get removed or added to Debian's testing branch?
Debian Project Leader Stefano Zacchiroli <a
href=""http://upsilon.cc/%7Ezack/blog/posts/2010/10/Debian_squeezes_Chromium_back_in/">http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/10/Debian_squeezes_Chromium_back_in/">doesn't think so</a>
and points out that Chromium is a good example for the non-newsworthiness
of these things.  It had been removed from Debian's testing branch, causing
a media fuss and some criticism, as it appeared that Chromium would
not be part of the next stable release.  However, as the release critical
bugs have been fixed, the package was allowed back again.  Which is -
according to Stefano - actually not newsworthy either.
This is one strange news item. I'm not convinced this should be included, but supposing it is...

I haven't seen a "media fuss" about this, in fact I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for Stefano's blog post. The only "media" coverage I can see, on LWN, actually goes beyond squeeze and even beyond Chromium, so I don't think that news item alone can be treated this way. In any case, I'm wondering which release-critical bugs were fixed.

Debian maintains a <a href=""http://www.debian.org/users">http://www.debian.org/users">list of Debian
users</a> ranging from governmental or educational institutions up to
dozens of companies, of which surprisingly not all are IT related.
I'm not a native English speaker, but I don't think "up to" is right here. I think just "to" is fine. BTW, I would find it much more surprising if Debian was only used by IT-related organizations than the opposite. After all, Debian is the universal operating system, and the world is much more than IT.

5 applicants have been
	as Debian Developers and
7 applicants have been
	as Debian Maintainer and
13 people <a href=""http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/new-maintainers.cgi">http://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/new-maintainers.cgi">started
        to maintain packages</a> since the previous issue of the Debian
There are 2 "and"-s here, and inconsistent plural (5 as Debian DeveloperS, 7 as Debian Maintainer).

According to the <ahref="http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi">bug-tracking
        web interface of the Ultimate Debian Database</a>, the upcoming release,
	Debian 6.0 <q>Squeeze</q>, is currently affected by
327 release-critical bugs. Ignoring bugs which are easily solved
	or on the way to being solved, roughly speaking, about
130 release-critical bugs remain to be solved for the
	release to happen.
The high number should currently be 277. Note that a space is missing in "ahref".