Re: blog.debian.org: a merger of various blog-ish resources

Hi!

Sorry for joining the discussion quite late; slowly but surely I work my
todo list down ;)

* Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> [100723 14:23]:
> So, let me stress that I didn't ask the press release to *author* the
> blog posts. I expect the blog post to be authored by the current authors
> of {times,news}.debian.net (in the beginning) and later on I foresee
> blog posts authored by others. As DPL, for instance, I'll be glad to
> contribute blog posts from time to time and I'll welcome posts
> contributed by others. Still, there's a need of some control, or of an
> "editorial board" if you want. And that is something that I think should
> be delegated to the press team, also for coordination with other source
> of Debian news. Additionally, as I don't want to "gift" extra work load
> to the press team, I think it would be wise to have someone else on
> board which would like to do that specific job, in coordination with
> you.

I think it would be a good idea to have an somehow "official" blog, and
that it could fill an existing gap.

Obiously it's more official than the random opinion of a random DD on
planet.d.o, so it might be interesting for press folks, too.
Contentwise we have stuff, that's interesting for more than DDs (so it's
misplaced on debian-devel-announce), worth to have some kind of
"official" blessing (so it shouldn't be just a blog post on planet) and
is more important than to be just mentioned in the DPN.

Some examples coming to my mind, would be:
* Debian / DDs taking over upstream development of $foo (for example
  sysinit? cron?); not really suitable for a press announcement, but
  would still nice to announce it in some kind of official way, wouldn't
  it?
* Debian participating in a "minor" event / DD to speak on a conference
  (again not always important enough for an announcement).  Yes, we try
  to list them on www.d.o/events, but via a blog we could remind people
  of smaller events and the like.
* Some posts to d-d-a, e.g.:
  * Debian Live squeeze alpha2
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/07/msg00006.html
  * Debian Edu/Skolelinux 6.0.0 alpha0 test release
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/07/msg00008.html
  * Maybe even: Call for keys for keysigning in New York City, USA during DebConf10
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/07/msg00001.html
  * Etch moving to archive.debian.org
    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/06/msg00003.html

One should also note, that that would actually be very similar to the
proposal of the "delayed moderatation" of mails send to
debian-devel-announce, just for blogs / planet (forget the bug number
and am too lazy to dig it out right now).

So to summarise: I think it's a good idea, while there's is no strict
need for it, it can be used in a helpful way by giving random chatter of
DDs an official touch by not "weaken" official announcements.  If
there are also some volunteers beside the press team, and we don't
actually have to implement it, I strongly enourage you to do it.

Best Regards,
  Alexander