Re: draft news entry about the Debian derivative FrontDesk

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:32:15AM +0100, Justin B Rye wrote:
> I haven't improved the content, I've just tweaked the phrasing.

Amazing, thanks a lot for your contribution! I like all your changes,
but have a few remaining observations:

> The Debian Project encourages other distributions to base themselves
> on the volunteer work of Debian Developers and believes that it is
> through inter-distribution collaborative activities such as bug
> forwarding, joint maintenance teams, patch forwarding, etc. that the
> Free Software ethos gets implemented.

This is a bit exaggerated (my fault): Free Software ethos gets
implemented by a whole bunch of other stuff that we already do, no
matter the existence of derivatives.  I've rephrased the latter as "that
Free Software is best served" (not sure about whether it should be "is
best served" or "gets best served", but the former sounds better to my
non-native-English ears).

Additionally, I've inlined some markup in the version below (HTML/WML as
I presume it is the preferred form for the editors, let me know if this
is not the case for the future). As anticipated, feel free to
remove/change the hyperlinks if you don't consider them appropriate.

Here is an updated draft:

<h1>More collaboration among Debian-based distributions: the Derivatives Front Desk</h1>

The Debian Project has been promoting software freedom and delivering
Free Software to users via its releases since 1993, when it was one of
the first GNU/Linux distributions ever.  It has spawned
which are nowadays based on the work done in Debian, as allowed and
encouraged by Free Software customs.  Such distributions are
colloquially referred to as "derivatives"; according to
enjoys more than 120 derivatives, including some of the most popular
GNU/Linux distributions currently available.

The Debian Project encourages other distributions to base themselves on
the volunteer work of Debian Developers and believes that it is through
inter-distribution collaborative activities such as bug forwarding,
joint maintenance teams, patch forwarding, etc. that Free Software is
best served.

To that end, the Debian Project is happy to announce the opening of its
a forum where contributors to Debian-based distributions can meet and
discuss the best ways to push their changes back to Debian or otherwise
ask for help on how to interact with Debian development.

Developers of Debian-based distributions are hereby invited to join the
mailing list as the main discussion forum for derivatives. Additionally,
the Debian Project encourages contributors of Debian-based distributions
to mail inquiries about how to contribute back their changes to

Other comments?
If not, this one is ready for me to be posted.

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers.