use of special characters (mostly accented words) in index.wml

Hi,
I'm an italian translator and I'm working on the subversion publicity repo. But now I've an hamletic doubt about special characters! :D

In italian we use accented vowels; so, usually, I use entities in HTML document (like è instead of è) and I think it's correct to use entities to represent accented letters also in wml. But then, when we convert index.wml in plain text in order to send the newsletter...the entieties returns entities! So, I'll be glad to have your opinion: is it correct to use entities in wml and then, after the conversion in txt, use a find&replace to substitute entities with accented letters? I know it's a stupid extra-job, but I think it's the only way.
Do you have some super-secret trick on this?;)

Thanks!

Cheers,

Francesca.