Re: Google AdSense for Debian

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:

Here is one idea:

>  * a title (2 or 3 words perhaps)

Debian Games Team.

>  * a text (5 to 10 words)

Come help us package Free Software and Open Source games for Debian
(and Ubuntu). Lets have fun making Free Software  extra fun!

http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Team

>  * Keywords when the ad should show.

debian games, linux games

> Obviously the entries should be to promote Debian, so the URL is probably a
> sub-page/domain of debian.org.

When promoting Debian, what would be the goal for Debian?

I'd echo Steffen's sentiments about attracting users. That said, I
tend to think we are drowning in bug reports for popular and well used
packages, but niche packages tend to be under-used, under-appreciated
and under-scrutinized. Advertising focusing on attracting niche users
to install Debian and use, enjoy and scrutinize the relevant niche
packages would be useful to us. I've found posts on debaday can be
quite useful in boosting popcon values.

To me, attracting more developers would be the most useful one goal
for any advertising campaign. Advertising on places like LWN &
Slashdot would probably be more effective here than generic Google
advertising.

I tend to think using, monitoring and interacting with social media
like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, etc would be a better way to attract
new developers than advertising. I'd encourage those who are willing
to use these new media to talk about their and others Debian
activities, significant Debian events and other FLOSS & Debian related
stuff there. It would probably be better to do so in the more
mainstream sites rather than alternatives like identi.ca.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise