Re: page for listing donors for Debian Project?

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Jeremiah Foster
<jeremiah@jeremiahfoster.com> wrote:

>        Gnutiken, an economic co-operative based in Gothenburg, Sweden
> (http://gnutiken.se/) would like to be a partner with debian. Gnutiken is a
> co-operative that sells hardware, courses, and services based on Free
> Software. We sell computers that run only free software for example, hold
> courses on getting started with GNU / Linux, provide office space to free
> software hackers, like Andreas Nilsson who works for the Mozilla Foundation,
> and provide a space for various free software projects to use, like the
> Gothenburg Hacker Space and Ubuntu Sweden who are having a release party for
> Karmic on the 29th of October.

Great stuff!

Please note that almost all modern computers contain non-free software[1].

>        We'd love to be a debian partner. We may not have the economic means
> at the moment since we are just starting up, we've only been legally
> registered with the tax authorities for that last month or so, so we don't
> possess all the resources many debian partners have. But I have maintained
> the Swedish dictionary in debian for a while now and participate with
> packaging in the debian-perl group which I have been doing for years. The
> operating systems we support at Gnutiken are all debian-based, except for
> Fedora. (We want to provide some diversity.) We would love to contribute
> back to debian in any way we can, and we work hard promoting debian.
>
>        What is the best way for Gnutiken to participate in the debian
> partner program?

As a start, please take a look at the partners web pages:

http://www.debian.org/partners/
http://www.debian.org/partners/partners
http://www.debian.org/partners/partners-form

Sounds like Gnutiken would be more of a development partner than
service partner at the current stage of it's life. There are various
ways your members could help with Debian development, here are some
ideas that may or may not qualify Gnutiken for "Debian partner"
status, but would certainly help Debian.

Join the packaging teams for software you rely on heavily and work on
them whenever possible.

Run debsecan, rc-alert, wnpp-alert and manpage-alert (from the
devscripts package) on a random machine whenever you have development
time and work on one issue from the output of each of those scripts.

Package software you use that isn't yet available in Debian.

The Debian release team recently posted a call for help with squeeze:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/10/msg00002.html

Other core teams may also need new members, for example the security
team is currently unable to provide security support for testing like
they used to do.

More ways to help can be found here:

http://www.debian.org/devel/join/

1. Probably the most common non-free software in modern computers is
the x86 BIOS. In addition, hard drives, wireless cards and so on
contain non-free firmware. Hopefully some day we'll all be running
chips fabricated from OpenCores designs and running free firmware :)
Here are a couple of relevant blog posts about hardware and free
software.

http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2009/09/19/personal-software-freedom/
http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/20091017-00
http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/coreboot-on-the-cover-of-the-linux-journal