Re: Bits from the DPN editors

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:14:20 +0200 Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:

[...]
> Speaking of the current state sadly means to confess, that our hopes to
> draw a lot of help from the community by using a system for drafting the
> news with a low entry barrier were not fulfilled.  We actually had a
> good start, with good participation, but due to (I assume) the
> aforementioned initial difficulties participation in the creation of the
> DPN dropped considerably.

One deterrent I see (among other things) is the following:
there's no clear licensing info on the wiki pages and the finalized DPN
issues (http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/) are published under the
terms of the OPL license, like the rest of http://www.debian.org
The OPL does not meet the DFSG: I am not even going to see if I can
find time to contribute to non-free documents (you know: life is too
short to deal with proprietary software!) ...

This problem is obviously related to bugs #238245 and #388141.
These bugs should really be solved.

Can we at least start by changing the license of future DPN issues?
I would strongly recommend to gain consensus on the license to be
chosen for http://www.debian.org (2-clause-BSD or GPLv2 have been
proposed and I would be happy with this choice) and then start to at
least adopt this license for future DPN issues.

P.S.: Please Cc: me on replies, as I am not a list subscriber.  Thanks.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!