Re: Purchasing the Laudatio Condensed font

Jeff

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:50 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> There are cheaper offers, but before I go anywhere, even to get the
> okay from Steve, I'd like to hear feedback.
>
> I realise that we don't *need* this font so much, considering we
> have vector versions of the string. However, as in our case, we
> might want to make an occasional modification, and $200 isn't that
> much for Debian.
>
> What do people think?

I'd personally prefer to spend the money (or a bit more) on a
competition/bounty to develop a free version of the font with the
minimum characters needed; say the latin alphabet plus a a few bits of
punctuation. Places that could be used to host such a competition are:

http://www.debianart.org
http://openfontlibrary.org

I would favor having a free version of the font created, provided that it could be done reasonably expediently.   It WOULD be really handy to have easy access to the font for creating augmented logos.  I think if people had easy access to the font that they would be inclined to use it to create logos for their group (Debian Games, Debian Edu, Debian Art, heck even Debian Publicity)

--
Jeff Richards