Open Source Census

Hi

This is my first e-mail to this list. I have been using Debian for about 12 years already, and have installed it on at least 5 or 6 servers in the last company I worked (these servers either didn't exist or were Mandriva installs). It is my OS of choice both at home (where I have two computers running Lenny) and at work, where I also run Lenny.

Having used the OS for so much time and having converted a lot of people and machines to it, I have been really thinking how I could collaborate to the project, even though my free time is very scarce.

I have stumbled upon a blog entry [1] about an Open Source census that's going on and, even though it currently states Ubuntu as being the first GNU/Linux of choice, having Gutsy and Hardy sharing 46% of the scanned machines, pure Debian comes second with 14%. I would like to call the attention to this paragraph, and especially to the parenthesis, though:

"It is glaringly clear (and made doubly so by corroborating surveys <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9868873-16.html>) that in the war of the community Linux distribution, Ubuntu is king, with 46 percent of those surveyed on Ubuntu's Gutsy or Hardy distributions, and 8 million to 9 million global installations <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7358483.stm>. (I suppose the other way to look at it is that Debian is king, as it pulls in an additional 14 percent, beyond its Ubuntu descendants.)"

If someone can find a good use for this on PR, that would be nice.

Later!
Cassiano Leal

[1] http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9926516-16.html