FUSS - Free Upgrade in South Tyrol's Schools , Italia, and the Debian Project

FUSS and the Debian project

Even if there are several commercial structures that offer completely
free (as in freedom) software distributions, we choosed to use the
Debian GNU/Linux distribution as the foundation for all our work on the
FUSS GNU/Linux distribution.

One of the main aspects of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution is that is
developed mainly by volunteers, and their work is guided by the Debian
Social Contract. We choosed the Debian GNU/Linux distribution for
several reasons, both technical and strategical:

      * Debian guarantees conformity to our choice to use and distribute
        just free (as in freedom) software.
      * Being developed mainly by volunteers guided by a social contract
        Debian is indipendent from every commercial and marketing
        strategies of a single company or distributor.
      * Debian, since it's developed by a community of developers, has a
        great adaptability and has less requirements for a huge
        customization.
      * Over 15.000 free software packages are maintained by the Debian
        project for his software distribution.
      * The technical infrastructure and tools of this distribution let
        the creation of customized version in a easy and flexible way,
        as demoonstrated by the Debian sub-project "Custom Debian
        Distribution".
      * The Debian Policy and the Debian Quality Assurance guarantees an
        higher quality standard which defines structures and contents of
        every single package. Also, the Debian Security Team give great
        support for security concerns.

                                 Debian

All these has guaranteed and will guarantees for the future a great
consistency within free software philosophy and a great development
stability that any other GNU/Linux distribution can actually give.

The FUSS Project:
- 83 schools at 23 cities in the italian Bolzano province
- 2460 desktops
- 70 servers and one central repository
- 13745 students
- 1728 teachers
- 412 people prepared
- 1604 training hours.
- 20000 cd-rom distributed

The actors:
- Italian Scholastic Intendancy of the Province of Bolzano [5]
- Ministero del Lavoro e Delle Politiche Socialli
- European Social Fund [6]
- Center for Professional Formation in italian language CTS "Luigi
Einaudi" [7]
-Truelite S.R.L. [8]
- Alpikom S.A. [9]

The costs:
 -Proprietary software: 269.000 Euros / year
 -Free Open Source Software
 * one time costs
   Migration: 308000 Euros
   Training: 94000 Euros
 * Recurrent costs
   Maintanance and development: 30000 to 150000 Euros / year

[0] http://www.fuss.bz.it/the-distribution/fuss-and-the-debian-project
[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/150507/
[2]
http://www.libroblanco.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=369
[4] http://www.freesoftwareworldconference.com/virtual/Fuss.pdf
[5] http://www.provincia.bz.it/intendenza-scolastica/
[6] http://www.provincia.bz.it/europa/esf/index_i.asp
[7] http://www.cts-einaudi.it
[8] http://www.truelite.it
[9] http://www.alpikom.it

Please, contact FUSS Project directly at the site [0] for further
details.

Regards.
Andre Felipe Machado
http://www.techforce.com.br