Re: Draft for press announcement "Debian 4.0 frozen"

Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> attached a draft for a press announcement which should be sent out soon.
> Please note that we can not list every new feature new in Etch. Therefore
> linking the wiki.

Thanks a lot, however, I cannot send this out.

Please ask yourself:

   . What do you want to say with the press release?

     --> freeze ==> new features are not important
     --> new features ==> we'll have an empty release announcement

> The Debian Project has frozen its upcoming release Debian GNU/Linux 4.0
> (Codename 'Etch') today. This means that only critical bug fixes and
> more additional documentation will now be accepted for Etch.

This paragraph is the only one that refers to the freeze.  This one
alone is not enough for a press release, though.

> This will be the first official release to include the AMD64
> architecture, but will drop the Motorola 680x0 architecture. The
> distribution will be released synchronously for 11 architectures in
> total.
>
> The upcoming release will ship Linux kernel 2.6.18 as its default
> kernel and a new version of the Debian Installer, which will also
> include a graphical version for the first time for some architectures.
>
> New features of this release will include:
>  + The GNU Compiler Collection 4.1 as default compiler.
>  + X.Org replaces XFree86 as implementation of the X Window System X11.
>  + Secure APT adds extra security by easily supporting strong
>    cryptography and digital signatures to validate downloaded packages.
>  + Full LSB 3.1 compatibility.
>
> For more information also see http://wiki.debian.org/NewInEtch

This is all fine and dandy, but "unfortunately" belongs into the final
release announcement.  If we release this information now there's
nothing left for the final release announcement which I anticipage to
be sent out within the next two months.  If there would still be half
a year time, things would be different, though.

Gruesse,

	Joey

--
No question is too silly to ask, but, of course, some are too silly
to answer.   -- Perl book