Fwd: Debian backed by HP (pr preview 2)

I'm sure Andre intended this for the list

(forwarded inline, because murphy is rejecting a normal forward...)
-- vbi

Subject: Debian backed by HP (pr preview 2)
Date: Tuesday 15 August 2006 15:22
From: "andremachado" <andremachado@techforce.com.br>
To: avbidder@fortytwo.ch

Hello,
I used some previous messages texts, own HP pr text plus Garbee message,
debian times text, and my own blog text to edit the content below.

It is still missing some paragraphs editing, and further searching for
 using only hp and debian links. I used the Progeny ones, as older links to
 hp ( I had in my blog) does not work anymore.

Regards.

Andre Felipe Machado
http://www.techforce.com.br

++++++++

= Debian welcomes HP's support =

As the first tier-one world class vendor, Hewlett Packard announced (
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2006/060814a.html  )the addition of
Debian GNU/Linux as a supported Linux distribution on monday.
The support  is offered worldwide for a range of its Proliant (
http://www.hp.com/products/proliant ) and BladeSystem  (
http://www.hp.com/go/bladesystem )  server hardware as well as the new
 t5725 Thin Client product ( http://www.hp.com/products/thinclients ).

The new support services offering leverages the knowledge of 6500
professionals worldwide dedicated to open source, at the company that for
 the four fiscal quarters ended April 30, 2006, had revenue totaled $88.9
 billion.

HP already offered special support contract services
 (http://www.hp.com/linux ) for customized Debian version for corporate
 customers, most at telecom industry (
 http://www.progeny.com/customers/hp.htm ).

== HP and Debian Project ==

This is not the first time HP shows appreciation for Debian GNU/Linux,
 being involved with Debian Project since 1995.
HP is a sponsor and colaborator of Debian Project, donating hosting and
bandwidth for various servers of the project. Also, uses Debian GNU / Linux
 as a reference developer platform (
http://opensource.hp.com/opensource_projects.html )
Already uses Debian GNU / Linux in its print server devices and  Network
Attached Storage (NAS).

The CTO, Bdale Garbee, is a Debian Developer, and was elected Debian
 Project Leader for a mandate (
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-leaders ) and in
 august 2006 was elected  (
http://www.spi-inc.org/news-items/new-spi-board-of-directors-and-officers.h
tml/ ) volunteer board president of Software in the Public Interest, SPI (
 http://www.spi-inc.org ) that is the legal face of the Debian Project.

Bruce Perens ( http://www.perens.com ) was already an employee of HP  (
http://www.perens.com/Articles/Bio.html ) , and also an elected Debian
 Project Leader (
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-leaders) and the
 previous volunteer board president of SPI.

The HP open source team has a good expertise already. In 2005, among 48,000
open source support calls, only 180 were fowarded to upstream distributors
 or developers.

While support for Debian GNU/Linux on hardware from various vendors,
including HP, IBM and others, has been available on a case per case basis
for a number of years, this is the first time a major vendor offers support
as part of a standard package <better language here!>. <here would be a
good place for a DPL quote :-)>, said Debian project leader Anthony Towns.

<I'm sure you can add more paragraphs here ad lib... :-) >

== About Debian ==

Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system, developed by more than a
 thousand volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via the
 Internet. Debian's dedication to Free Software, its non-profit nature, and
 its open development model make it unique among GNU/Linux distributions.

The Debian project's key strengths are its volunteer base, its dedication
 to the Debian Social Contract, and its commitment to provide the best
 operating system possible.

== About HP ==

HP is a technology solutions provider to consumers, businesses and
institutions globally. The company?s offerings span IT infrastructure,
 global services, business and home computing, and imaging and printing.
 For the four fiscal quarters ended April 30, 2006, HP revenue totaled
 $88.9 billion. More information about HP (NYSE, Nasdaq: HPQ) is available
 at www.hp.com. HP also offers tested and supported enabling solutions that
 leverage the company?s 6,500 open source and Linux service professionals
 worldwide. HP worldwide Linux products http://www.hp.com/linux
More information on HP?s open source and Linux offerings is available in an
online press kit at www.hp.com/go/linuxworld2006.
HP open source projects at
 http://opensource.hp.com/opensource_projects.html Open Source and Linux
 from HP at http://opensource.hp.com/