From: "José L. Redrejo Rodríguez" <jredrejo@edu.juntaextremadura.net>
To: Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org>
Cc: cesar.gomez@juntaextremadura.net, maxx@debian.org,
	holger@layer-acht.org
Subject: Re: Extremadura OpenSource Migration and DebianTimes
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 21:40:58 +0200

El jue, 03-08-2006 a las 21:21 +0200, Andreas Barth escribió:
> Hi,
>
> * José L. Redrejo Rodríguez (jredrejo@edu.juntaextremadura.net) [060803 21:00]:
> > El jue, 03-08-2006 a las 20:51 +0200, Andreas Barth escribió:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > * Andreas Barth (aba@not.so.argh.org) [060803 20:31]:
> > >
> > > I just noticed that a news item was published today on
> > > http://www.debian.org/News/2006/20060803 - I put the contents of that
> > > into DebianTimes now. If there is more interessting to say, another
> > > article would still be cool. If not - sorry for disturbing you.
> > >
> > > We could of course do an independent article later on, if you want (a
> > > bit later then, to not mix people up).
> > >

> > I also think it could be too much at this moment. Maybe,  in a couple of
> > months, when the main strategic decissions about how to implement the
> > migration in the administrative offices will have been done and the
> > process has begun. Don't doubt in contacting us then.
>
> thank you very much. Also, if you think you have something worthwhile to
> report, please don't hesitate to contact the DebianTimes-team, best via
> debian-publicity@lists.debian.org.

Ok, I don't know if this is worthwhile, but in the same linex project,
past july we have migrated all the 50.000 desktops in our high schools
from  linex 2004 (a customized frozen sarge in Dec, 2004) to linex 2006
( a customized sarge with backports of gnome 2.14, xorg & openoffice
from etch). In the same process we have migrated more than 100 servers
of these schools from woody to sarge. For the servers, we have prepared
a mondo image for the different brands. All the desktops have been
migrated via network (as they don't have cd reader) using a Debian
version of LCM (http://linuxcm.sourceforge.net/) and a optimized image
we have prepared.
All the sources, images, and documentation are available at
http://administradores.educarex.es/wiki/index.php/Migracion2006 (sorry,
it's only in spanish)
Our intention has been making a really easy migration process to be done
for people with low technical skill, as many system administrators are
people with a short experience in linux, as they have just left the
university, and the university is still too "propietaried". The process
has gone fine and next september all the students and teachers will find
the new desktops keeping their old data, logins, passwords and files.

Regards.
José L.

----- End forwarded message -----