Re: release updates and the general audience

Btw: debian-publicity@lists.debian.org is a dead list and also not
really of interest wrt this issue.

Added CC to press@d.o

also sprach Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> [2006.06.03.1152 +0200]:
> Basically, this is something I would like to do. My question is
> just: How do we do that best? Should the release team also post
> a small story to debian-news at the same time (and suggest all
> journalists to subscribe to debian-news also)? Or anything else?
> And, how do we make sure we're available for questions in short
> time? Which address should we consider journalists for contacts so
> that they can e.g. be given out a mobile phone number to call to?

This is exactly what the job of the Debian PR or press team [sw]ould
be: be a proxy to the press. I thought we had such a team:
press@debian.org

I propose we wait for someone from that team to say something, or
create, reinstate, or stock up the team to span all timezones. Their
job would be to receive announcements from within Debian and relay
them to the local press. And then to act as primary point of contact
for the press people, with phone numbers or whatever.

Anyway, since I have moderately good contacts to the German and
Swiss press, I would (and did) volunteer to be (one of the) press
contacts for the German-speaking market.

Cheers,

`. `'`

"violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
                                                       -- isaac asimov