Re: Press release

Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Jan 07, Jon Marler wrote:
> > According to http://www.debian.org/News/1998/19981008 Debian has taken the
> > stance that we will NOT distribute KDE at all until big changes are made
> > with KDE.  I know that we do support KDE applications, but not the window
> > manager or certain other components.
>
> My understanding is that the KDE people need to include a Qt exception
> clause in their license (which is the GPL), and then we could put it
> in contrib.  I know Joseph Carter was working with them on this for a
> while, but he caught flak from basically all sides.

Joseph has ironed out the QPL2, but still an exception is required if pure
GPL code is used.  That's what the KDE people are working on, for a while
now...

> I suppose we could mention that KDE packages are available at
> http://kde.tdyc.com/, but are not supported by the project, and that
> KDE 2.0 will be included if it does not have these licensing issues.

If they're not part of the distribution nor provided by Debian, they
will not be mentioned in a press release.  We are also not mentioning
non-free databases and stuff.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Unix is user friendly ...  It's just picky about its friends.