Re: linuxword update

[I'm "bouncing" this message to debian-publicity - Darren]

You make a good point about the normal mentality of those who pass by booths,
except that when you start early in the day doing a demo or presentation, this
normally turns the individuals who crowd the booth into an audience, which
attracts notice and focus to a booth.  Comdex had a similar setup, where those
who just stayed in their booths only got the attention of those walking up and
asking questions, but a presentation got the attention of those passing by.
That's my thought here.  Do we want to be the ones who stand there waiting for
people, or do we make ourselves visible enough to attract those passing?  Debian
is the ONLY distribution where those who maintain and develop the distribution
stay in contact with not only the other developers, but those interested in what
they are doing.  If we start off the day with a presentation, have smaller
presentations at intervals, then doing an installation every three hours or so,
those interested will come back for those times.  if anyone has a white board
we could use to post the scheduals for these, that would do it.  Debian doesn't
have the notice that Redhat does, so we need to accept that, and act
accordingly.  A solid presentation(s) on our part IS the key to showing that
not only is Linux ready for the home market, but that we understand that people
have questions, and that WE are the group with the answers.

							Dave