Re: Debian GNU/Linux (fwd)

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote (on debian-private, Dec 3):
> > 6.  What applications are bundled with it?
>
> <insert long list of Free/Open Source applications here>
>
> (i know they're really asking about commercial apps, but it's vaguely
> annoying to see the assumption that the only good app is a commerical
> app)

Actually... I think that's an open-ended question that
deserves some thought.

I think we should have an application list with an emphasis on
well-rounded and robust applications in a variety of "application niches".

Things like

gimp [Graphics manipulation program],

moonlight (er.. except I've had problems with it but I can't determine
if they're user error or application error) [3d composition environment],

rosegarden (I've not even tried this one) [musical sequence editor],

mozilla (eventually..  when it works) [web browser],

emacs (add a word processor when we have a decent one) [development
environment, personal database and text editor],

postgresql (and dbish) [object-oriented database],

tkined [network mapping toolkit]

etc.

Before a list like this is used we need some people to
go over the list of applications to make sure that they work
cleanly for beginners:

	(*) no major configuration hassles, just start up the program
	(*) beginners can do something useful without having to study
		[the more useful, the better]
	(*) where study is needed, the range of capabilities should
		be reasonably obvious to someone who briefly fires
		up the program
	(*) program doesn't crash when someone is playing around with it

The point of all this is to capture the attention of a journalist who
is under deadline pressure.

[Also, to get people using these programs so that, if some major
capabilities need to be fleshed out, talent and audience are both
available.]

We don't necessarily need an office suite -- as long as we can point
out that they do exist.

--
Raul