Re: DRAFT v3: Debian 2.0 "Hamm" Released

> > > Should add a trailing / to that url to make it valid (above works, but isn't
> > > really valid).
> > >
> > > I think this line would be more consistent written as:
> > >
> > > CD-ROM distributors:	http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors/
> > >
> > NO!! It is not for a directory, but uses content negotiation to retrieve
> > vendors.html.<lang> . Work is under way on the first translation
> > (French) so it shouldn't be long before this will actually be of some
> > use. In fact, the French translation of the social contract is sitting
> > in CVS now.
>
> Just a dumb question from a HTML-DAU: Would this work, too, if one
> specifies vendors.html?

<short answer>
No.

<long answer>
If you specify a file exactly then that is the version that will be served.
You may then suggest that we get rid of the *.html files so the server will decide
between .html.* . This would be fine except that .html is used as the backup
version if none of the languages available matches the users supplied language
preferences.

An example may make this clearer. A German user has de set as his preference
and asks for:

vendors.html
  if vendors.html exists it is served
  if vendors.html doesn't exist and vendors.html.de is available, then it is served
  if vendors.html and vendors.html.de don't exist an error occurs
vendors
  if vendor.html.de exists it is served
  if vendor.html.de doesn't exist, but vendor.html exists it is served
  if vendors.html and vendors.html.de don't exist an error occurs

The only way to make this work in all cases is to not supply the .html ending
and make sure that a .html version of every file exists. On our site every
<file>.html is a link to <file>.html.en so the english version will be served if
no other language can be negotiated.

I would be happier if you could configure the extension that is used as a backup.
We could simply define html.en as the backup for the Debian sites and put all
the links back to 'normal'.

Jay Treacy