Donate to Debian using LiberaPay ?

On Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 10:16 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi@yuggoth.org> wrote:

> The most expedient route is probably to send the request to
> treasurer@spi-inc.org with as many details as seem relevant. This
> will autocreate an RT ticket in SPI's treasurer queue so we don't
> lose track of it.
>
> I brought this topic up in the #spi IRC channel yesterday after I
> saw the initial request here on debian-project, and the good news is
> this seems like it ought to be reasonably straightforward. Battle
> for Wesnoth (another SPI associated project) already has a LiberaPay
> account, donations to which are collected by SPI on their behalf, so
> something similar could in theory be set up for Debian.
>
> One of the directors who assists with treasurer duties tried to look
> into details of their service offerings, but was unable to load the
> LiberaPay site at all. It seems they probably block access from
> various parts of the World, which is sadly not all that uncommon.
> Due to the global nature of the Debian/SPI communities contrasted
> with the decidedly non-global behavior of many payment and donation
> sites, these sorts of requests are often more challenging to resolve
> than they should be, so patience is recommended.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley, SPI Board of Directors

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for taking this request directly to SPI.

By coincidence, I was listening to a FOSS podcast just yesterday talking exactly about the dificulteis of projects and individual developers to receive donations, since it involves fiscal and legal issues. Indeed, receiving and giving donations across different countries can be quite a challenge.

At the same time, I listen oftenly that if projects asked more for donations and made the process of donating as simple and straightforward as possible, they would receive more.

Perhaps, that's something we could improve.

Cheers

Felipe