Re: Community renewal and project obsolescence

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 08:48:28AM -0800, Antonio Russo wrote:
> [...] my personal experience is that making contributions is like
> dropping a message in a bottle into the sea.  It feels like a complete
> crap-shot whether I'll even receive a comment on any code contribution
> (including debian-devel RFS, salsa MR, or BTS patch).

This is also my experience.

A related question I've been pondering: did salsa make this worse for new
contributors because some maintainers (seem to) ignore issues/MRs there?

I figure for the many people coming from GH style platforms nowerdays being
ignored on salsa would be a major discouragment to contributing.

> If there were a single thing that could be done, in my mind it would be
> to have someone make sure that contributions do not go entirely ignored.

I've been thinking along those lines too. Perhaps we just need an
aggregator that flags mails/comments/other contributions by new people that
are being ignored.

I've been meaning to do something like that for the d-mentors list but
perhaps we need to think bigger.

--Daniel