Re: Community renewal and project obsolescence

On Fri, Dec 29, 2023 at 06:49:47PM +0100, Daniel Gröber wrote:
> > [...] my personal experience is that making contributions is like
> > dropping a message in a bottle into the sea.  It feels like a complete
> > crap-shot whether I'll even receive a comment on any code contribution
> > (including debian-devel RFS, salsa MR, or BTS patch).
>
> This is also my experience.
>
> A related question I've been pondering: did salsa make this worse for new
> contributors because some maintainers (seem to) ignore issues/MRs there?
Maybe, but also salsa MRs being ignored by default was an intentional
decision AFAIK, both a technical decision of not notifying maintainers
about created MRs and a policy decision of the BTS being the only
officially promoted way to contact maintainers and submit patches.
I have no idea if people are actually told that before they submit MRs.

> I figure for the many people coming from GH style platforms nowerdays being
> ignored on salsa would be a major discouragment to contributing.
Well, salsa didn't make this worse, it just added something that can be
ignored.

> > If there were a single thing that could be done, in my mind it would be
> > to have someone make sure that contributions do not go entirely ignored.
>
> I've been thinking along those lines too. Perhaps we just need an
> aggregator that flags mails/comments/other contributions by new people that
> are being ignored.
You'll still need people to provide feedback.