Re: [RFC] Extending project standards to services linked through Vcs-*

On Thu Aug 31, 2023 at 3:23 AM CEST, Ángel wrote:
> If GitHub were blocking access from Russia [1] *and the maintainer
>
> [1] They are not:
> https://github.blog/2022-03-02-our-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine/

The (other) case I was thinking of was Iran. I'm glad people from Iran
were 'unbanned' [2] as "a breakthrough: we have secured a license from
the US government to offer GitHub to developers in Iran."

Because "GitHub respects and abides by US law", it seems to me that any
contributions to Debian packages hosted on GitHub is dependent on
whether the US gov is OK with it. I think that's very problematic.

Just as age should not be an obstacle [3], neither should country of origin
or residence.

Cheers,
  Diederik

[2] https://github.blog/2021-01-05-advancing-developer-freedom-github-is-fully-available-in-iran/