Re: Brief update about software freedom and artificial intelligence

On Fri, 2023-02-24 at 11:37 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> As a general principle, as a free software advocate, I approve of an
> expansive definition of fair use and believe that far more uses of
> copyrighted material should be fair use than are normally considered fair
> use today.  Expansive definitions of fair use are a key legal component to
> enabling reverse engineering and compatible replacement of non-free
> software with free software, for example.

I note that fair use isn't a worldwide concept and other parts of the
world have the more varied and restricted concept of "fair dealing".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Influence_internationally
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing

So, as much as possible, we should try not to rely on fair use.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise