Re: Fortunes-off - do we need this as a package for Bookworm?

At 2022-12-17T19:02:11-0000, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I have been around long enough to remember when in 2004 a very
> prominent developer of Chinese origins

...but in Australia at the time and, I have heard, residing there still.

> hurriedly left the project when the d-i (?) team refused to mention
> Taiwan in the way he preferred.

Yes.  It needed to be "Taiwan, Province of China".

Since then it's possible we'd have had to change it to "Chinese
Taipei".[1]

As I said in that same conversation, he was a capable guy.  I'm sorry we
lost him.  But it was right for us not to pay the price he demanded.

> So, there is not much that we have not already seen...

I'd like to quote a friend of mine who fights a lot of these battles.

--snip--
Another thing I find objectionable: exhibitionist etymological
offense-taking. I have never met a South Asian person offended by the
word "thug." But I have listened to white people show off their
knowledge of etymology and history by being offended on South Asian
people's behalf and white people being offended on behalf of Alaskan
natives over the use of the word "Eskimo." Actually, not only have I
listened to them: I HAVE BEEN THEM.

If you want to be offended on someone's behalf, you might want to
inquire about what actually offends them. It may surprise you.

But of course, this gets to the root of offense-taking. The taking of
proxy offense is a social strategy used by people when they feel their
social status is threatened.

The same impulse that made baroque South Carolina planters beat black
men in the street for looking at "their" women in the wrong way is what
powers indirect offense-taking. It makes it appear that you are
controlling social boundaries and have the power to defend your
inferiors from harm.
--snip--

White-knighting can be, and often is, another form of tech-bro alpha
dogging.  We would do well to recall the restrictive gender roles and
patriarchal hegemony prescribed by the rules of feudal chivalry.  (I
don't think it's any accident that some of these same nobility ended up
owning plantations and establishing military schools in the U.S. South.)

> I am late to this thread, so I will just say that:
> - I appreciate a lot of what Branden and Sam wrote here

Thank you!  I remember getting into a lot of arguments with you back in
the day.  I can't remember what any of them was about.  🤣

> - the outcome is sad

Did you see the part where I ITA-ed fortune-mod?

No one has yet responded my invitation to be a technical consultant to
save my geriatric packaging skills from embarrassment.  This may be
because people are easily fatigued of reading my emails.  There are
darker possibilities.

I'll muddle through on my own if I need to.

But, first, groff.

Regards,
Branden

[1] https://www.euronews.com/2021/07/26/what-is-chinese-taipei