Re: SUMMARY [Was Re: Fortunes-off - do we need this as a package for Bookworm?]

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> A serious suggestion: it is not necessary for Debian to package fortune files
at all.

I absolutely disagree with that.

The fortune package is completely nonfunctional without any fortune files.
True, I could download fortune files from anywhere on the internet,
and even make my own.
But that isn't what I've learned to expect from Debian.

When I install a Debian package, I expect it to function out of the
box, at least for a reasonable core subset of its full functionality.
I don't expect to have to search the web for additional files in order
to make it work *at all*.

That would be like packaging into Debian a game engine without
providing any game data. For example, a driving game without any race
tracks, or without any cars. Would you ever do that?

Gerardo