Re: Fortunes-off - do we need this as a package for Bookworm?

On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 04:59:49PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

[...]

> I have never once interpreted them as promoting Nazi ideology. Rather, I
> have always interpreted them as being a useful reminder of the sorts of
> things that Nazis said and stood for [...]

Context.

I wouldn't ever have, myself. But we share one (very narrow) context.

As an anecdote: I was for two weeks in Cairo (taking a course in
Arabic language). The whole setup was pretty immersive, living in
a flat in some pretty normal part of the city. Just normal shopping,
public transport, the whole thing. When people heard we were learning
their language, they even got more talkative (although talks mostly
ended up in English: their English was usually much more usable
than our Arabic, but hey).

More than once we heard from them "Hitler, good man". We cringed
(without showing too much of it) and tried to explain carefully
that, back in Germany, most of us didn't like this guy very much.

Cheers