Re: Question about contributing to debian financially.

Hello Zeke,

Zeke Williams dijo [Tue, Nov 15, 2022 at 08:36:15AM -0500]:
> I'm considering in the future, funding the debian project financially.
> More specifically, helping fund hiring package maintainers for
> orphaned packages as well as individuals who can maintain the security
> patches. How can I help? Or rather, how would I be able to help if I
> wanted to help in the future?

First and foremost, thanks for your interest in helping Debian!

Debian is defined –and proud– to be a volunteer-based project, that
is, we don't hire and have never hired people to do our work,
technical or otherwise. If you donate funds to Debian, we will most
likely use them in hardware for the different project activities,
hosting and connectivity, or travels for Debian conferences /
miniconferences.

If what you want to do is to ensure a given area of the project is
well maintained, you can hire Debian Developers or Maintainers, and
pay them to improve the areas you feel to be more important.

There are many cases of individuals and compaines donating to Debian
in both ways; perhaps the most visible is the Freexian's "Long Term
Support" for Debian releases.