Re: Freedom in Debian

On 5/18/22 03:01, Wojciech Lipinski wrote:
I have noticed that various companies have been promoted on the Debian
website in exchange for their donations. It is great that the Debian
Project can secure important financial support and promote free software
among companies. However, I have also felt that some promotion using
very large logos of companies that do not share many of the free
software values may go a bit too far, beside directly offering links to
log into their web services.

Companies doing donation to Debian are automatically getting a backlink to their site. This doesn't mean that we share the value of that company.

I hope
that the Debian project will lose its unique character with freedom and
ethics at its core.

This is very unlikely to happen.

Personally, I am considering applying to join your project to help with
Debian activities related to development and scientific computing using
Modern Fortran based on my background in engineering sciences.

Please do start contributing! You do not need to be a DD to contribute to Debian (and in fact, you need to contribute first before applying). There's a Debian Science team, find them and join them.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)