Re: Questions around Justice and Our Current CoC procedures

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 10:43 PM Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Or, let me put this another way: one of the fears that I've seen expressed
> around warnings is that it's a permanent record sort of thing, or it
> starts a file on someone, or otherwise creates a presumption of future bad
> behavior.  [...] This bothers me a lot.  I think
> this perception is very harmful to the project because it creates
> excessive shame and anger and fear, which can be quite counterproductive
> in attempting to just get someone to shift their behavior.

Okay, so now you are saying I am being "very harmful to the project
because [my perception] creates excessive shame and anger and fear"?

I think your statement reads like an example of psychological
projection. [1][2] It is a common defense mechanism among people. It
is even in the Talmud. Because it is so widespread in Debian, I tried
to warn about it elsewhere. [3] People in the project also complain
about the hypocrisy from time to time (in general, not yours).

Your statement is plainly contradicted by the DAM warning I received.
It included this line:

    If you continue resorting to personal insults when you interact with other
    people, the DAMs will have no choice but to review your membership in the
    project.

Upon receipt, it was reasonable for me to express, in your words, my
"fears [...] around warnings [...] that it's a permanent record sort
of thing, or it starts a file on someone, or otherwise creates a
presumption of future bad behavior."

Moreover, if anyone was confronted with "excessive shame and anger and
fear" it was not you or anyone else, but I. (This is the projection
part.) There was a long thread of mob justice—the longest on record,
some wrote—on debian-private that had me not sleeping for three or
four days.

I'll add that the DAM warning arrived on the day before Yom Kippur.
[4] The next day was filled with intense self-criticism [5] so the
warning with the threat of expulsion fit right in.

Kind regards,
Felix Lechner

[1] https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/basics/projection
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection