Re: Are users of Debian software members of the Debian community?

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 08:47:19AM -0400, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
> On 9/16/22 12:12 AM, Nilesh Patra wrote:
> > Well, sometimes bugs do sit around for a bit, yes; but you are presenting it in
> > a much way that it makes the situation look worse than it actually is.
> > The resolution is quick quite a few times (to my
> > experience and I am a DD myself) but yes, sometimes they do sit around for a while.
>
> That's easy to explain why your bugs are fixed quickly. You are a DD, so your
> bugs are important. I am not a DD so my bugs are not as important to the
> maintainers who have a greater responsibility to respond to a DD's bug than
> to an unknown user's bug.

That's a completely wrong interpretation that you are drawing here. No, that's
not really the reason here.
The reason is rather that people _do_ work on bug reports regardless of
who reported them, but you somehow do not want to acknowledge the fact that
package maintainers do work on bug reports.

> That is the way it should be.

No, that should not be that way, it'd be _very_ wrong. If that was actually the
case we would be violating the debian social contract point 4

	"Our priorities are our users and free software"

> No problem here, and
> please no one reply and say I am complaining. I am not. I am just seeing
> how things work at Debian and I think they work fairly well.

You are seeing it in completely incorrect ways.

> > And if you think something very critical is broken, you could
> > even raise the severity of the bug, I don't see a lot of problem with it.
> >
> > And yes, sometimes the maintainers of a package _can_ be AFK too,
>
> For six months?

Yes?
What if a package maintainer runs into a medical emergency, or some family? Or someone
is into completing their PhD, let's say?

Aren't we humans after all?

FWIW, even my bug reports have been lying to take actions for long times, so
it is not just you.

> > this is volunteer work
> > after all. Someone might be on a vacation, or in a conference, or travelling, or busy with RL
> > and seeing your BR on an immediate basis isn't a possibility.
> >
> > > Also, in my experience, these bugs and catastrophic failures caused by updates
> > > of a supposedly stable release happened *much* less often when I used software
> > > that is written by paid developers.
> >
> > Fine, but what do you propose to do here? Pay all DDs for fixing bugs? Who will manage the finances/funding?
> > What if a bug report is critical and someone is unwilling to pay for a fix? What if someone needs a break for
> > whatever reason? -- have you considered to give a thought about these?
>
> You misunderstand me a bit here.

What was your idea then? What solution do you intend to propose for:

"""
Also, in my experience, these bugs and catastrophic failures caused by updates
of a supposedly stable release happened *much* less often when I used software
that is written by paid developers.
"""

> > Also, I'd like to say that calling out Debian contributors with "Hey, you are doing a horrible job" is
> > a negative thing for us to hear as well. You said that you got a few negative replies, which you are annoyed
> > with, this goes both ways, really.
> >

> You failed to notice the messages when I thanked the maintainers
> when they fixed the bug. Please judge me on the facts, not just the
> parts you pick out that make me look like a terrible person.

And maybe you failed to notice that the statements you made on this thread and also
on debian-user are negative statements, and just saying a thanks does not make it all good again.
Please judge procedures in debian on the facts,
not just the bug reports you pick out to make us look like terrible volunteers.

At this point, you need to make peace with the fact that you don't get to order
people into doing something for you.
I'll not engage on this thread anymore, I am so done.

--
Best,
Nilesh