Re: Can the Debian Project ever fall?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 09:37:27AM -0500, Shayan Akbar wrote:
> Hello Debian folks,
>
> As someone who depends on the Debian project a lot in my daily life, I
> cannot seem to let this idea go... Can the linux project fall?
>
> How does the project maintain itself against the man's intrinsic need to
> control and own?
>
> How many years can it stay strong and stay a free operating system
> benefiting billions?

We are doing well.  The RPM world is collapsing -- Red Hat pretty much
committed suicide, it had ~70% of the market but chosen only fat lucratious
corporate clients, who grant mucho $$$s but these days development is so
open that the NDA world is not enough to sustain enough upstream work to
prevent Red Hat from rapidly shrinking.  The CentOS debacle was quite the
fat lady singing.  They follow the Solaris tracks both in scheme and timing
-- first market share loss, then buyout by a corporation known for
nickle-and-diming, then hiring freeze, then last free release, then...
The track is set.  Is sad to see them go but I have little hope.  Fedora is
merely Red Hat-unstable.  SuSE is quite independent and, while small, does
enough own development to possibly survive Red Hat's collapse.  But IBM's
Red Hat...  it'll have several great quarters then go down the hole that
swallowed SCO, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, etc...

The popcorn world: Gentoo, Slack, Arch, Alpine -- they do produce quite a
bit of innovation that _is_ relevant, but as for number of users -- naah,
they hardly count.

Ubuntu on the other hand is WTF-level unstable.  First the Unity/GNOME
disaster, then they totally snapped over, then their last LTS is so buggy it
tends to randomly crash whatever I do, especially on !x86.  Ppc64el falls
apart, when I tried to use vectorscan:arm64 it had heisenbugs not
reproducible on Debian, etc.  I may need to touch Ubuntu for work stuff
porting, but as an user, on random hosting VMs, I'm gone.  Crossgrading
to Debian is an instant fix that brings stability and when not paid, I'm
not going to spend my copious free time to debug Ubuntu bugs.

What we do suffer though, is insane politics.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁                                   Loongarch's name is loong.