Re: Can the Debian Project ever fall?

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 09:55:40PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 09:37:27AM -0500, Shayan Akbar wrote:
> > Hello Debian folks,
> >
> > As someone who depends on the Debian project a lot in my daily life, I
> > cannot seem to let this idea go... Can the linux project fall?
> >
> > How does the project maintain itself against the man's intrinsic need to
> > control and own?
> >
> > How many years can it stay strong and stay a free operating system
> > benefiting billions?
>
> We are doing well.  The RPM world is collapsing [...]

Wow. Just wow. Did you know that Redhat is more or less single-handedly
financing GCC and libc since... like ever?

> [...] SuSE is quite independent and, while small, does

You count SuSE to the Redhat world just because at some point in their
past they adopted RPM? A distro is more than its package manager. And
oh, they are feeding more than one kernel developer. Would you like a
world where every Linux kernel developer is in the belly of some big
corp the likes of IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Intel et
al?

> The popcorn world: Gentoo, Slack, Arch, Alpine -- they do produce quite a
> bit of innovation that _is_ relevant, but as for number of users -- naah,
> they hardly count.

[...]

Again: wow. Just wow. As Charles put it in another thread, the world
(and as a part of it, the Debian world!) would be much poorer without
Arch's "popcorn", most probably without the others, too -- just my
little brain is too limited to provide concrete examples for each
and every one.

Thing is, Debian is living in a wonderful environment and "steals"
right and left (and is "stolen from"), courtesy of the free software
idea. And we're all richer for that!

> What we do suffer though, is insane politics.

This is what makes Debian what it is: it's one of the differences
to the other distros.

Your standpoint is... strange.

Cheers