Re: We need to define a path for Debian to climate neutrality

On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 11:22:24AM -0400, micah anderson wrote:
On 2022-04-08 20:35:27, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
it just occurred to me that despite the climate crisis about to
destroy us all we don't really have anything in place to monitor
and reduce our carbon emissions.

Agreed.

I believe we need to commit ourselves to reducing this, but I fear

Also, agreed.

+1 from me!

I think Debian should commit to become carbon neutral, and then become
climate positive, and make that clear to others so that it may encourage
other projects to do the same.

I think the path to doing this starts with the commitment from the
project. If we can get that commitment, then we are a long ways towards
making this happen.

Other early steps should include establishing a sub-project/group to
coordinate discussion and actions around the issue.

Then it is about determining the organization's carbon footprint. There
are organizations that can assist in determining this (eg. Offsetra).

I think this is a big part of the work required: but, the other side of
it is the software we provide that is used by others. An improvement on
that side of things would have a great deal more impact than on our own
infrastructure.

Finally, deciding on a way to reconcile that footprint. This may be the
contentious aspect, as not everyone will agree that the different
mechanisms that exist are the right ways to do this, but perhaps we can
delay this discussion until it is clear that Debian is committed to
making this happen.

Makes sense to me.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.