Re: several questions /Debian Source Code build 11.3/related to Unrestricted Encryption Source Code Notification Commodity

On Wed, 2022-04-13 at 14:14 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> The review by the NSA went long ago. Debian has treated the code as being
> exportable worldwide but has not normally accepted new official mirrors in
> countries subject to US sanctions like Iran, Syria or Cuba.

There has been an official mirror for Iran ftp.ir.debian.org on and off
since around 2014. The first mirror in Iran seems to have been added to
the mirror list in 2013. There are currently six different mirrors in
Iran but no public mirrors in Syria/Cuba in the mirrors list though.

> I'm unaware of Russian law at the moment: it is possible that import and
> use in Russia would be legitimate under Russian law.

There already are Russian Debian derivatives like Astra Linux, so
presumably this is fine.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/AstraLinux

--
bye,