Re: Jan 2022 DPL/DAM/CT sprint report

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> wrote on 20/02/2022 at 22:22:51+0100:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 12:55 PM Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Cc-ing you, but if you prefer not being replied directly for lists on
>> which you're subscribed, please do tell.
>
> Without specific requests to the contrary, I copy folks only on bugs
> and not on lists but please handle that as you see fit. My mail system
> deletes the duplicate automatically.

Ack, I'll try not to Cc you, but I note that it'd not be a big deal.

>> But for warnings, it'd
>> become quite too expensive to hold any sort of trial, especially when
>> the grounds for the warning are public and warrant for a warning
>> independently of what could have caused them.
>
> How can warnings ever be warranted "independently of what could have
> caused them"?

If I insult you publicly, whatever you did privately or publicly, I
still do insult you publicly, and that's against a CoC. It is my opinion
that I still would deserve a warning for that insult.

>> > The burden should be the
>> > other way around, i.e the membership should be forced to affirm a
>> > disciplinary DAM action if the accused does not mind the publicity.
>> > Upon failure, the accused should walk.
>>
>> I'm not sure to understand the meaning of the two last sentences, could
>> you please elaborate on these?
>
> With fewer than two disciplinary actions per year, it is not an undue
> burden on the membership to ratify punishments at the request of the
> accused.
>
> The DAM action should be withdrawn unless the membership affirms it in
> a general vote.
>
> It's better for DAM, too. Since the decision is made by the project as
> a whole, all accusations of bias are automatically moot. The defeat of
> the accused is final. It warrants no further review unless the
> evidence was flawed.

The issue with that is that it can become a huge mud spread quite fast.

(and btw, who does check whether the evidence was flawed?)

--
PEB