Re: Jan 2022 DPL/DAM/CT sprint report

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 20, 2022 at 10:23 AM Steve McIntyre <93sam@debian.org> wrote:

> We should **not** be using the CoC as a hammer, a tool to punish
> people. It's a set of guidelines, setting basic expectations about
> interactions one is going to have with people in Debian. People make
> mistakes - we're only human.

As a recent recipient of a DAM warning—for an isolated incident in
which I described someone as a "freak" to a third party while that
person was present—I found Steve's email comforting.

With regard to disciplinary proceedings, however, Debian has a long
way to go in implementing basic precepts of justice. For example, it
would be good to hold hearings in which the accused can make a
statement before any action is taken.

Those rights go back to the Magna Carta in 1215 and predate any modern
form of elected government. Instead, they limited the arbitrary and
capricious nature of unelected officials, namely the Kings of England.
As someone who has felt the stick (or, as Steve wrote, the "hammer") I
plead with DPL, DAM, CT to implement such basic protections without
further delay.

Also, I do not know which avenues of recourse were open to me at the
time—and did not challenge the warning in any event—but it was unfair
for some folks to suggest a GR in response. The burden should be the
other way around, i.e the membership should be forced to affirm a
disciplinary DAM action if the accused does not mind the publicity.
Upon failure, the accused should walk.

Disciplinary actions are sufficiently rare to make that a small burden
on the members. Without a jury system, it is the best we can do to
offer a trial by our peers. Thank you!

Kind regards
Felix Lechner