Re: Debian and GitLab Open Source Partnership

Geert Stappers <stappers@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 06:19:37PM +0200, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
>> Donald Norwood <donald@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > Debian and GitLab have been in discussion regarding an Open Source
>> > Partnership toward which we will jointly produce mutual promotions,
>> > shared stories, and announcements using both organizations press and/or
>> > publicity channels.
>> >

>> Out of the blue, without any more context and content,
>
> ???
>
> "Debian" and "Gitlab" are speaking with each other
> since the very start of "Salsa".

Interacting on a technical aspect because we use gitlab is far from
promoting what Gitlab does.

>> I am not sure to be happy with this news.
>
> To me is the news  that "press" and "marketing" are more involved.
> Because I assume good faith, I allow meself to focus on other stuff
> in (Debian) life.

I also assume good faith. But Debian ang gitlab going on the promotion
path, even if done in good faith, is not necessarily something that
makes me happy.

>> To me, such a partnership is something quite stronger than sponsorship
>> and I'd be a bit ill-at-ease with it being done without the whole Debian
>> Members being consulted.
>
> Yes, a DD is allowed to represent the project.

I did not ask such a question, but rather expressed that Debian promoting
Gitlab would be something worth prodding the whole project, IMHO.

--
PEB