Re: DEP-16 Confidential votes

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 11:58:55PM -0400, Olek Wojnar wrote:
> Hi zigo,
>
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 6:16 PM Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>

> > I'd be very much for leaving the decision of open/close to our
> > secretary, with most votes open, and the possibility for him to decide
> > when it should be closed. I trust Kurt to do the right thing whenever a
> > vote (like the RMS GR) needs to be closed. Otherwise, I very much prefer
> > if most votes were staying open.
> >

> Note that the RMS GR was, in fact, open. :)
>
> I respect Kurt's interpretation of the constitution and the reluctance to
> single-handedly interpret vague sections. I personally believe that "lists
> all the votes cast" (4.2.3) should be interpreted to mean "lists by hash"
> or another non-personally-identifying means. Perhaps that will need to be
> clarified in the constitution, one way or the other, in the future. My
> point is that Kurt's interpretation (as I understand it) is that all
> non-DPL votes are open. So I don't believe that Kurt would ever make the
> decision to have a confidential non-DPL vote. Kurt: please correct me if I
> misunderstand you!

The only real difference between a secret and non-secret vote
currently is knowing who voted what. In both cases a list of
voters and a list of votes is published. Changing the interpretation
that we don't publish who voted what would turn our non-secret
vote in the same a secret vote. I do no believe that was ever the
intention. For every GR we have published who voted what.

Kurt