Re: Debian infra services and tools looking for programming contributions

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 7:02 PM Antonio Terceiro wrote:

> I'm planning a talk titled "I'm a programmer, how can I help Debian?" in
> which I intend to present contribution opportunities for people who are
> programmers, but are not necessarily interested in packaging.

There are a number of non-packaging tasks for coders listed here:

https://www.debian.org/intro/help

> to present several Debian infrastructure services and tools that could
> receive contributions, highlighting a few where contributions could have
> a larger impact in the community (IMO).

Pretty much every Debian service needs help, please emphasise that in your talk.

> If that's you, please reply to this message and provide some information
> about your service or tool. Package names are enough for tools in the
> archive, otherwise links/wiki pages/etc are appreciated. Please also
> mention a contact point (IRC channel, mailing list etc).

As per the previous discussion on mentoring for infrastructure
projects I'm willing to attempt to help folks contribute to pretty
much any area of Debian infrastructure. The debian-mentors list and
channel are appropriate for this.

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/29bd183f-1d7d-4d90-7262-7095ab3774cf@freesources.org
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#Infrastructure_Projects

Some more specific examples I would like to see:

The Debian wiki needs the MoinMoin 2.0 release to happen:

https://github.com/moinwiki/moin/milestones

The Debian derivatives census needs both coding and non-coding contributors.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

Porting the PTS patches panel changes to tracker.d.o:

https://bugs.debian.org/779400

Removing hard-coding of architectures, suites, codenames etc from
Debian services.

https://wiki.debian.org/SuitesAndReposExtension

There are a number of things that would be useful to have in
check-all-the-things, some of which there are half-completed branches
for, or are just ideas (for eg sandboxing or machine-readable output).

https://github.com/collab-qa/check-all-the-things/
https://github.com/pabs3/check-all-the-things/

--
bye,