Re: [Summary] Discourse for Debian

Le mercredi 15 avril 2020 à 13:02:53-0400, rhkramer@gmail.com a écrit :
> I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended.  See (or don't see) below.
>
> On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 11:49:56 AM Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 10:22:29AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > > This must be one of those days when I feel the need to respond to more
> > > emails than I usually do.
> >
> > but why?
>
> Do you really expect an answer?  Hard to explain -- I guess the
> misinterpretation of one of my earlier comments led me to feel the need to try
> to explain myself.
>
> Apology (or attempt at explanation) is still further below.
>

> > > (2) maybe bringing systemd into a discussion is (should be considered)
> > > something just as disrepectful (harmful) as bringing Hitler into a
> > > discussion.
> >
> > i'm disgusted and not sure how I should comment on comparing a free
> > software tool with someone who's actions lead to the death of millions of
> > people and the holocaust.
>

> I sincerely apologize!  I never intended my comment to express any approval of
> Hitler or a comparison of systemd to Hitler.
>
> I don't know if I can explain or if an explanation would help.  Without really
> thinking about the actions of Hitler, I was just trying to suggest that
> bringing up an off-topic subject that provokes controversy (like systemd) might
> signal the end of useful conversation about a subject, something like bringing
> up a different off-topic subject (Hitler) has in the past signaled the end of
> useful conversation on other subjects.
>
> To me, the idea of bringing up Hitler in a conversation is crazy / humorous,
> even though his actions are far from humorous.
>
> (I probably dug myself in deeper :-(

Hi,

I'm contacting you both publicly (via debian-project@) and privately (on
your GMail address) in the name of the Community Team following this
subthread.

As you seem perfectly aware of, bringing Adolf Hitler or nazism in a
public conversation on -project as a (maybe caricatural) way of
comparison is not good. Apologizing, is a good thing, but trying to
explain oneself in such a situation is doing yourself and your apologies
wrong.

Not because one can't explain themselves at any time, but because it
makes your apologies look like a pretense to justify what you said instead
of making your apologies look like sincere ones. Especially when the
issue lies on a touchy thing like references to the Holocaust.

You replied further, in particular to a mail from Felix, in particular
in private, and it seems that your discussion is neither sane nor
helping to descalate things. Felix claims to feel threatened by some of
your messages, and you seem to feel that your private discussion, if it
occurred, was not good.

In that regard, and because this part of the thread is just harmful to
many readers and to the Debian Project, we'd like to ask you if you
could:

 1. Not contact Felix in private anymore regarding this subject.
 2. Not reply to any mail regarding this part of the thread, neither in
    public nor in private, to anyone.

In the same time, we ask the members of the list to do the same and let
this part of the discussion cool down without adding any more comment.

Thank you, and thank everyone else for that.

If you feel the need to discuss about this situation, my mailbox is
open.

With best regards,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2